Toxic chemicals and household items that can poison dogs

Most homes contain dangerous chemicals and caustic substances that can be toxic to dogs. Adults know better than exposure to the most dangerous chemicals. However, just as parents must protect their children from household toxins, dog owners must also protect their dogs.

Be very mindful of the products you use in your yard and home. Try switching to a product known to be safe for pets. Certain chemicals can be harmful to dogs if ingested, inhaled, or in contact with the skin. In some cases, chemicals can enter the bloodstream and affect major organs. Certain chemicals may be considered safe for humans but still harm dogs.

If you’re treating your yard with chemicals, make sure your dog can’t get into the yard until it dries (and make sure the chemicals are safe after it dries). The same goes for carpet cleaners and cleaners that your dog may walk on. Be aware of your dog’s position when spraying chemicals into the air or surfaces.

Household Substances Toxic to Dogs

Certain substances commonly found in and around the home can pose a high toxicity risk to dogs.

  • antifreeze: Glycol is a toxic chemical in antifreeze. Sadly, this is a common poison for dogs.Antifreeze tastes great for dogs, but even very small amounts can be highly toxic. Symptoms of ethylene glycol poisoning appear quickly and can quickly lead to death.
  • Battery Acid: This very dangerous chemical can irritate, ulcerate, and even be eaten through the skin, mucous membranes, and gastrointestinal tract.
  • bleach: This chemical is corrosive to the skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract. Also, fumes can be harmful, especially in enclosed spaces.
  • Drain cleaner: It is also corrosive to the skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract. Fumes can be harmful, especially if the area is poorly ventilated.
  • Medications and Medications: Prescription, over-the-counter, and illegal/recreational drugs can be very harmful to dogs.Toxic effects depend on the type of drug and the amount ingested. In some cases, toxicity can easily lead to death.
  • fertilizer: Depending on the type, some fertilizers can irritate the skin and feet if your dog comes into contact with them, especially before it dries. May also be harmful if ingested.
  • glue: Many types of glue are dangerous and can cause poisoning, skin and mucous membrane irritation, and gastrointestinal obstruction. Gorilla Glue is probably the worst of the bunch, often causing gastrointestinal blockages.
  • herbicide: Like fertilizer, herbicides can cause irritation to the feet and skin when the dog walks through it, especially if it’s still damp. If ingested, your dog may suffer from toxic effects.
  • Household cleaners and cleaners:Depending on the chemical, these can be dangerous if ingested, inhaled, or in contact with the skin.
  • kerosene: It is corrosive to the skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract. Fumes can be harmful.
  • Oil: Some people may have heard that motor oil is used as a “home remedy” for mange, but this is definitely not true! never can Oil your dog. It is very harmful to the skin and dangerous if ingested. Oil can easily kill dogs.
  • Coverings with cocoa husks: This type of mulch is a delicious but dangerous treat for dogs. Toxicity is the same as chocolate poisoning.
  • Nail Polish/Nail Polish Remover (Acetone): It is corrosive to the skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract. Fumes can be harmful. Also, nail polish can stick to the hair.
  • Paints, varnishes, varnishes, sealants, stains: All are corrosive to the skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract. Fumes can be harmful. Some of these can also be dry on the fur and difficult to remove.
  • Paint thinners and brush cleaners (mineral oil, turpentine, etc.): All are corrosive to the skin, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract. Fumes can be harmful.
  • pesticide: Many types of pesticides can irritate the skin, mucous membranes, and gastrointestinal tract when wet. Some are still harmful when dry.
  • Rat Poison: Sadly, rodenticide toxicity is a common poison for dogs.Rat poison is highly toxic if ingested. Never use rat poison in or around your home.
  • Salt (especially rock salt/pavement salt) and other deicers: These can irritate the dog’s skin and feet. They can also be harmful if ingested.

Note that this is not a complete list of household toxins. Remember that anything in or around your home can pose a risk to your dog.

Keep your dog away from areas that have recently been sprayed with liquid chemicals. Many are safe to dry, but find out which ones are safe and use only those.

Know the safety of the product before buying and using it. Try to use as many pet-safe products as possible. Keep hazardous items where your dog will never find it, and remember that some dogs will break into restricted areas.

What to do if your dog is poisoned

If your dog is exposed to toxins, you must act immediately. Call your veterinarian right away. Don’t wait for symptoms to appear!

Do not induce vomiting unless directed by a veterinary professional.Corrosive substances are more harmful as they rise than when they fall.

In the event of exposure to toxins, keep a list of important phone numbers in a visible and easily accessible location. Make sure pet sitters and others who may be in your home know where this list is.

  1. your junior veterinarian
  2. One or more nearby 24-hour veterinary emergency clinics
  3. ASPCA Poison Control: (888) 426-4435 (toll; Home Again subscribers can call 888-HomeAgain for free support from an ASPCA veterinarian)
  4. Pet Poison Hotline: 855-764-7661 (charges apply)
  5. Emergency contact numbers for you and your dog’s co-owner (if applicable).

If you suspect your pet is sick, call your veterinarian right away. For health-related questions, be sure to consult your veterinarian, as they have examined your pet, know your pet’s health history, and can provide the best advice for your pet.

Toxic chemicals and household items that can poison dogs
READ ALSO:   Why is my dog ​​peeing blood?
Scroll to top